"Three of my friends and I are starting a band (ska/punk, if it matters), and we've got some huge plans for this. It's a common dream. Music brought us all together and all that stuff. Well, the only problems is that all of these friends are boys who are 19 or older and my mom either doesn't like them or hasn't met them.

They're good guys and I know I'm completely safe around them, but I know that my mom wouldn't approve of them because they're punks. It's gotten to the point where I had to lie to be able to hang out with them, telling mom that I had different plans.
How can we make this band work if my mom decides she doesn't want me hanging out with the guys? Or how to I make it so she can meet them and approve without them having to change their tastes? Please help!

Thanks,
-JJ Girl"

16/f.


Try to explain to your mother that not everything is as it seems to be at the first sight. Sometimes we narrow our vision by seeing only stereotypes instead of people. If your mom doesn't like guys you're hanging out with, try to let them know each other better in a way that would be comfortable for everyone. Maybe it's better to let your mom meet them one by one, so she wouldn't see them only as a group of punks.

0 comments: